The Names of Jesus Tell Us About His Character
In order to grow in our relationship with anyone, we need to get to know them better. It is the same for getting to know Jesus. In the Scriptures, a person’s name had great significance. It reflected that person’s character—telling a story about that person. That’s why the names given to Jesus were so important. Each name of Jesus recorded in the Bible is a way through which we see Him more clearly and know Him better. And knowing Him better is essential so we can reflect His character to the world around us. Use the verses below to learn more about His names.
Explore The Names Of Jesus
For each Scripture reference, answer these questions:
- What is the name used for Jesus?
- What does this name reveal about Jesus’ character or calling?
- How should knowing this about Jesus affect your actions or attitude?
Names of Jesus in Scripture
- Immanuel – Matthew 1:23
- Lamb of God – John 1:29
- Alpha and Omega – Revelation 22:13
- King of the Jews – Matthew 27:37
- Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace – Isaiah 9:6
- The Bread of Life – John 6:35
- The Redeemer – Isaiah 59:20
- The Living Stone – 1 Peter 2:4-8
Making It Personal
- What new observations did you make about Jesus?
- When you think about Jesus’ character traits, are there one or two that are particularly inspiring or challenging to you? Explain.
- How can you become more like Jesus in one of these areas? What specific steps can you take? How will you evaluate your progress?