We know that bringing people into the Kingdom of God is a spiritual undertaking. Yet we spend a lot of time trying to persuade people with philosophical or intellectual arguments. If the struggle for someone’s soul is spiritual, how can we engage people in a spiritual manner? Prayer is a powerful spiritual weapon for a spiritual battle. How can you pray for those around you who don’t yet know Jesus?
Here are six ways you can break down spiritual barriers:
- Put in their hearts a desire to know Him and to seek for truth. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message (Acts 16:14).
- Remove whatever the enemy is using to blind them and keep them from trusting Christ. The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God (2 Corinthians 4:4).
- Convict them of sin, righteousness and judgment, and of their need for a Savior. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment (John 16:8).
- Cause them to experience the Gospel—not only in word, but with power. Because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction (1 Thessalonians 1:5).
- Reveal to them who Jesus Christ really is. Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon, son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven” (Matthew 16:16-17).
- Stir up in them a hunger and thirst for righteousness. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled (Matthew 5:6).
Jot down the names of people you’d like to pray for using the suggestions above.