This tried-and-true resource gives you the Bible verses to explain why we need Jesus’ sacrifice on the Cross to solve our greatest problem: separation from God.
When you’re not sure if friends have surrendered their lives to Christ yet, this is a great way to help them make that decision.
Draw this diagram on a piece of paper to walk someone through the gospel step-by-step. It helps to have the verses handy, bookmarked in a Bible or Bible app. The numbers show you the order in which to share.
Step 1: God
[Draw the horizontal line on the right side with “GOD” above it, then add the verses and bullets underneath the line as you share them]
God created us with purpose, to be in relationship with Him and to enjoy all the fullness of life with Him.
- What does God desire you to know in the first part of the verse? (God loves us)
- What does the last line say God wants you to have? (God wants to give us eternal life)
- What type of life does Jesus want to give you on earth? (Abundant life)
- What do you think would be some inner characteristics of this full, abundant life that Jesus wants to give you? (Purpose, impact, meaning, peace, joy, love & acceptance)
- Do you think everyone you know is experiencing this abundant life? Let’s see what the Bible says about what prevents it.
Step 2: Our Problem
[Draw the horizontal line on the left side with “OUR PROBLEM” above it]
We have a problem we can’t fix on our own.
- What is humanity’s problem? (All have sinned)
- What is sin? (Like an arrow missing its target, we fall short of God’s intent for us. All of us have done what we should not do and left undone what we should have done.)
- What is the result of sin? (Separation from God)
[Draw two vertical lines to make a chasm]
- Wages are what we earn by our actions. What do we earn by our sin? (Death)
- There are two types of death. What are they? (Physical and Spiritual)
Our sin separates us from God for eternity unless somehow we are released from paying the price for it.
- What happens after we die? (We face judgment for the sin we commit)
- This looks bleak for us. What are some ways you or others you know have tried to get to God’s side? (Going to church, praying, helping people)
God sees the hopeless situation we’re in and provides a way out.
- Can our best efforts bridge the separation between us and God? (No, we are saved by grace, which is unmerited love. Good works = not enough)
Step 3: God’s Solution
[Draw the Cross]
We can’t build a bridge to God, but Jesus Christ is God’s bridge to us.
- How did God show He loves us even though we’re sinners? (Jesus died for us to pay the penalty for our sin)
- Why is Jesus dying on the Cross and rising again such good news for us? (It allows us to be with God now on Earth and forever in Heaven because Jesus conquered both our sin and death by dying and rising again. That is the Christian gospel!)
Step 4: Our Response
Each of us needs to respond to what God is offering us.
- How does one become a child of God? (By believing and receiving Jesus, trusting in his sacrifice as the payment for your own personal sin.)
- What is Jesus trying to show here, when he offers to come in and eat with us? (That he longs to have a personal relationship with us)
Accept Jesus, Which is as Simple as A-B-C
Admit that you are a sinner in need of a Savior and ask God to forgive you and help you turn from sin.
Believe Jesus died for you and rose again, conquering sin and death.
Commit your life to following Jesus, putting your total trust in Him and giving Him decision-making authority as Lord of your life.
Talk to Jesus Right Now
You can talk to Jesus right now to receive him. You can repeat after me or put this in your own words:
“Father God, I know that I am a sinner and that I need you to forgive me. I know that your son Jesus died a painful death and rose again so that my sins could be washed clean. Thank you. I want to make you the Lord of my life, and I will trust and follow You. Everything I have is yours now. In the name of Jesus, amen.”
The Adventure Ahead
Now that we’re restored in our relationship, we get to join him in the restoration of all things on Earth that are broken and damaged by sin! This includes helping your friends have a relationship with Jesus, bringing justice where there is injustice, healing where there is pain, and hope where there is despair.
All scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®. Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide. www.zondervan.com The “NIV” and “New International Version” are trademarks registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by Biblica, Inc.™
The Bridge to Life ©1976 The Navigators, all rights reserved.
The Bridge to Life is also available in booklet form. Order from NavPress.