God equips us with spiritual armor. Through prayer we can stand against attacks of discouragement and doubt.
“Put on” the armor with this prayer based on Paul’s exhortation in Ephesians 6:10–18, using God’s Word, the sword of the Spirit, as we struggle, “not against flesh and blood, but against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (v. 12).
Equip me, Lord:
- With the belt of truth (v. 14). May your truth rule in my heart and be in my mind and on my lips today.
- With the breastplate of righteousness (v. 14). Apart from You there is no righteousness, but through Jesus I have been “born again” and made righteous in Your sight. May I live as a righteous person.
- With feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of peace (v. 15). May I reflect the Gospel in my words and actions, that through me, with my every encounter, others may be drawn one step closer to You.
- With the shield of faith (v.16). May I take You at Your word concerning promises about the present and future—promises of everlasting love, abundant life, and so much more.
- With the helmet of salvation (v. 17). Remind me that nothing can separate me from Your love and that I’ve been saved by grace. In Your grace, help me to say “no” to all ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live a self-controlled, upright, and godly life (Titus 2:12,13).
- And with the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God (v. 17). May Your Holy Spirit reign in my life and bring to my mind just the right Bible verses to be in my heart and on my lips. May I be “filled with the Spirit” and ready with Scripture as You were, Jesus, when the devil tempted You.
- Finally, keep me in an attitude of prayer (v. 18). Remind me to “pray in the Spirit on all occasions.” Cause me to be alert and always praying for the saints; to be joyful and to give thanks in everything (see 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
Some content taken from The Pray! Prayer Journal by Dean Ridings. Copyright © 2003. Used by permission of NavPress, represented by Tyndale House Publishers, a Division of Tyndale House Ministries. All rights reserved. For purchases please visit navpress.com.