God not only permits lament, He gives us the language of lament.
If we never acknowledge our pain to God, we will never truly know what it means to praise Him on the other side of suffering. It is in our honest crying out to God about our pain that our worship of God grows more authentic. It is in this kind of relationship, this kind of honesty with God that our walks with Him become real. Lament is part of the rhythm of a deepening relationship with Him.
Verses to Cling to in Pain
In the days you feel empty instead of full, may you find strength in God’s Word.
Consider turning these verses into prayers or words of praise.
Encouragement for Fear
- Scripture: “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)
- What this says about God: God is an “alongsider,” He never abandons or rejects His Children. He is a good Father.
- What this says about you: You can be strong and have courage. You are not imprisoned by fear because God is here, right now, setting you free.
Encouragement for Weariness
- Scripture: “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:28-31
- What this says about God: God is everlasting, always awake and at work. He sees all, understands all, and never grows tired or stressed. He is so strong, so renewing. He is powerful.
- What this says about you: You have access to God’s strength, endurance, and energy. His power is in you, empowering and enabling your body, mind, soul and heart to keep going. You are not hopeless—because Jesus is your hope!
Encouragement for Weakness
- Scripture: “But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.” 2 Corinthians 4:7-10
- What this says about God: The presence of Jesus gives us hope, no matter how horrible things are. He gives life through his death. He is a protector.
- What this says about you: You will not be consumed because the death and life of Jesus are stronger than anything you face.
Encouragement for Brokenheartedness
- Scripture: “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.” Psalm 147:3-5
- What this says about God: God is caring, healing, great, mighty powerful, all-knowing, and limitless.
- What this says about you: He stands right by your side, making you whole, bringing you His healing. He understands everything you face. You are not alone. The God who named each star—whose power is unending—is with you and in you.
How long, O Lord?
How long will this last?
When will you put an end to the suffering in our world?
Yet we remember that your arm is not too short; your arm has not lost its might.
We know, Jesus, your rugged cross and your resurrection power; you have never lost a battle.
Please take our confusion, grief, fear and suffering in your capable hands. Place them near your heart; care for them, transform them—and us—while you’re at it.
Redeem this situation. Be close to the most vulnerable, the most susceptible. Hide them in your wings.
God, you are Judge and King.
God, you are Comfort and Nourishment.
God, you are Peace.
God, you are Love.
Without your hand pulling us up, we will never see victory.
But with your hand at our sides, we will make a joyful noise unto the Lord.
Jesus, you are our strength, our salvation, and our louder song.