God’s Word provides assurance for our everyday lives
And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 1 John 5:11-12
The enemy will often to cast doubt on the work God has done in your heart. Although you won’t hear his audible voice, he will whisper this in your mind: “You don’t think you are saved and your sins forgiven just by believing and receiving Christ? Surely that is not enough!”
What will your answer be? Your only hope of successfully resisting such an attack is to resort to God’s Word. What does God say about the matter? That is the important thing for you to know.
On the basis of this “testimony”—God’s written Word—you can be convinced you have the Lord Jesus Christ, and with Him eternal life. You can thus overcome in this test of your faith. The attack may recur, but now you can meet it with the Word of God in your heart.
Explore 1 John 5:11-12
- Who gives eternal life?
- Where is eternal life found?
- Who has eternal life?
- Who does not have eternal life?
“This Is the Testimony”
1. What did John say in John 20:31 about why he wrote this book?
“God Has Given Us Eternal Life”
2. According to Romans 5:8, how has God shown that He loves you?
3. What results of man’s sinfulness are listed in Isaiah 59:2?
4. Read Ephesians 2:8-9. Why do human efforts always fail to reach God?
5. In 1 Peter 3:18, how did Peter explain what God has done to bring men to Himself?
6. How did John say a person receives the gift of salvation in John 1:12?
“He Who Has the Son Has Life”
7. According to John 5:24, what three things are the result of hearing and believing?
8. What did Jesus promise His followers in John 10:27-29?
9. What takes place when a person becomes a Christian, as described in 2 Corinthians 5:17?
10. How do you know that you have eternal life?
Memorize 1 John 5:11-12 about the assurance of your salvation, and write it out on a note card.
Excerpt from Growing in Christ: A 13-Week Course for New and Growing Christians. Copyright © 2007 by The Navigators. Used by permission of NavPress represented by Tyndale House Publishers, a Division of Tyndale House Ministries. All rights reserved.