Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18
November is the season of thanksgiving in American culture, but many circumstances might have us discouraged and not feeling thankful. The apostle Paul encouraged thankfulness in all circumstances, not just in certain seasons, as a way of orienting our lives and thinking around God’s perspective.
Take time over the next four weeks to focus on foundational truths of God and His great love for each of us, so that you can be truly thankful, in all circumstances.
WEEK 1 – GOD THE FATHER
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! 1 John 3:1
- Read Psalm 103 slowly, turning each verse into praise for your Father. Re-read it throughout the week to remind you of the Father’s compassion on you, His child (verse 13).
- Read John 14:1-14. Reflect on how Jesus shows us God the Father.
WEEK 2 – GOD THE SON
God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
- Read Romans 5:6-11. Thank God for Christ’s provision—His death while we were sinners, and our reconciliation to God.
- Read Colossians 1:15-23. Consider all the qualities of Jesus as the Son of God. Praise Him for each aspect of His nature, and for the hope He provides through our reconciliation.
WEEK 3 – GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT
The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. John 14:26,27
- Read John 14:15-31. Reflect on the promises that Jesus made to His followers. Praise God for His provision of the Holy Spirit. What truth do you need the Holy Spirit to remind you of this week?
- Read Romans 8:26,27. Take time to sit in silence and invite the Holy Spirit to intercede.
WEEK 4 – OUR LIFE IN GOD
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17, 18. Praise God for your new life in Christ. Be specific as you thank God for His work in your life and the ways He has changed you. Paul says we now have the ministry of reconciliation. Who can you pray for who may need to know this good news?
- Read Psalm 143. Make this psalm a prayer to God. Verse 8 says, “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.” What evidence do you see of God’s unfailing love for you each and every day?